Getting out of bed in the morning might prove to be a painful task if you’re not exactly aging well. Bones and muscles are more susceptible to damage as you age, so it’s imperative that you take better care of yourself as you progress in years. And that’s only the half of it. Use these age-friendly tips to help you out.
1. Have your hormone levels checked regularly as you age. You will want to have your doctor run standardized tests to be sure that your levels are where they should be. Taking hormone replacement or supplements may be the fix to the way that you have been feeling if you have been feeling bad.
2. You must get plenty of calcium to aid in the prevention of osteoporosis. Milk, skim milk, yogurt, and low-fat cheeses can be good ways to get calcium. Broccoli contains a large amount of calcium as well as other veggies. And take your calcium supplements. Women need 1500 to 2000 mg after menopause and men after the age of 65.
3. Don’t smoke! Smoking has been shown to prematurely age you. Not only can it make you look older, but it can actually reduce your life expectancy. If you stop smoking, your body will start to repair itself within a day of no longer smoking. This will lower your risk for heart and lung diseases.
4. In order to look and feel young, doing some strength training every other day is a key. People who have toned, strong muscles always look younger than their years. Not much is necessary in order to see the benefits of strength training, just twenty minutes every other day can lead to a toned and more youthful appearance.
5. As you age, start increasing your intake of raw fruits, seeds, grains, nuts and vegetables. Eat a well balanced diet and be sure to include raw broccoli, cauliflower, soybeans (edamame) and cabbage in your diet. Limit your red meat consumption and try to eat more fish. Raw foods will help your digestion and nutrient absorption.
6. Using olive oil is a key to keep your body looking and feeling young. Olive oil is a versatile, delicious and healthy way to reap the benefits of good oil for your body. Over the years, oils have gotten a bad rap from nutritionists, but oils are essential for keeping a body healthy.
7. Sign up to a new class. It is never too late to learn something new, so consider attending some public lectures or joining a community class. Choose a topic you are interested it, whether it is computers, gardening, crafts, philosophy, foreign languages, or quantum physics. Continuous learning will stop your mind from being idle.
8. As you age, do not forget to block out the sun! Keep applying sunscreen. This will help your age spots stay small and not enlarge or keep multiplying. Wear sunscreen every day, even in the winter. This will help keep your skin youthful and diminish the appearance of age spots.
9. Work at making your meals flavorful. As you age your taste-buds aren’t as sensitive as they used to be, so if you are losing your appetite and still need the nutrition, make a special effort to spice and flavor your food so that you will feel motivated to eat it.
10. Engage in activities that will improve and strengthen your memory, like looking at old family photographs. As you get older, events of the past may slowly slip away from your memory. However, if you keep your memory fresh by revisiting past events and walking down memory lane, it will keep that part of your brain alive.
11. Get your sleep. It is normal for older people to take longer to fall asleep and stir a bit during night, so think about taking medicine for that purpose. Sleep helps your mental and physical function and gives your body essential time to recharge. Get enough sleep and life will feel better.
When you age, you often do not want to leave the home because it is safe. When life becomes stressful, you should be able to return to your home and enjoy yourself in a highly personal, comforting environment. Your home should be a place you feel safe, comfortable and relaxed. Take some time to pamper yourself and do things to help build your confidence about aging.
For example: as you get older you may start to see that the dark circles under your eyes are more prevalent. To combat this, make sure that you use cover up to hide these circles on your face and consider going out for a facial. This will help to improve your confidence, almost as if the imperfections were not there in the first place.
The next time you go to the store, look in the facial care section for anti-aging products. There are many creams and gels on the market that you can apply to your face that contain vitamin E, which can help to smooth and tone the surface of your skin. Improve your facial care and slow down the aging process with anti-aging products.
It is not easy to age gracefully, sadly. If you read the right information, you will be better prepared for all the challenges that come with growing older.
Thanks for taking the time to look over our list of tips. Beyond these tips if you’re looking for a shortcut to younger looking skin we recommend considering facial injections. They can be a safe and affordable way to quickly reduce the appearance of fine lines and give you a more youthful appearance.